Monday 1 February 2010

My lifelong love of food.

As is true for most foodies, my first memories of cooking are of being eye-level with the counters in my mother's kitchen. An enthusiastic cook, my mum often involved me in the preparation of dinner, whether it be stirring a bechamel sauce and grating cheese when I was very little, to helping her make Sunday Roasts, curries and pasta dishes by the time I was 8. Just like Mum, cooking for my family and friends is how I show them love and appreciation. A love of cooking and passion for learning more about food from all over the world is the best gift my mother could have given me. The incredible produce available in the UK, along with the fantastic traditional recipes that are at the heart of our history add further fuel to my obsession and I have decided finally to keep a blog about the tasty, the messy and the triumphs, as well as the frustrating failures and experiments (like my ongoing quest for a satisfactory sourdough loaf).
I have never had a blog before, so this will be a learning experience and probably fairly uninteresting for anyone else until I can figure out what the heck I'm doing.

I bought two new (to me) cook books today in charity shops in Reigate. The first is a 1988 publication of the Dairy Book of British Food. Mum had a couple of Dairy cookbooks when I was little and I remember that they were her go-to books on the odd occasion that she needed any help. I snapped it up for £2.50 and look forward to leafing through it this evening. Given the publishing date, I'm expecting prawn cocktails, blancmange and Coronation chicken galore! I also grabbed the 2001 River Cottage Cookbook, which appeals to my seasonal, home-grown side. I have to figure out how to get them onto the bookcase without my husband noticing..
THEN I'm going to figure out how to post a photograph on this thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment